Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tangy Broccoli Salad



While I was at the market today contemplating what to make for dinner, I came across some really nice looking broccoli that was on sale. I remembered a salad I made for a picnic one day and since it had been a while I thought it was time for a repeat. I happen to love broccoli, even though it is messy, gets caught in your teeth and smells a little funky while it's cooking. Anywho, if you are a broccoli lover, or even if you're not you'll probably enjoy it prepared this way.

Tangy Broccoli Salad Recipe:

Ingredients
1 lb. fresh broccoli flowerets
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/2 cup red onion, sliced thin and cut in quarters (you can sub. yellow or white)
3 slices cooked bacon, sliced in small pieces (OPTIONAL)

Dressing

1/2 cup mayo
1/3 cup non-fat yogurt (you can use all mayo, but I like the tang the yogurt adds and it cuts down a little on the fat)
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 Tablespoon orange zest

Instructions
Blanch broccoli flowerets then immediately submerge in ice cold water until cool and strain. While it's straining mix all ingredients for the dressing.

Combine all ingredients, reserving a few of the almonds to garnish the top with. Refrigerate for at least one hour and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment