Monday, March 1, 2010

Design & Inspiration



As a graphic designer people sometimes ask where my ideas come from. The answer is easy, everywhere. I remember back in college one of my first design instructors began the class by saying that at the end of the course if we didn't walk away with a different view of life and our surroundings that he didn't do his job. His goal was that we walk away with the ability to see design in everything, from simple daily mundane items to the most elaborate things. I am happy so say he exceeded his goal as far as I was concerned. I had always been attracted to design and details, but after that class I saw the world in a completely different way. There was design in everything, whether it was deliberate, accidental or natural.

Above are a few of my latest inspirations for design,texture and materials. The first two are weaved trivets that I came across at my mother-in-law's a couple of months ago. I love the design, the weave and the colors. Since she is an artist I can always find and abundance of inspiration when visiting. The Third photo is of a bracelet I've had for years. Although the design in the center of the brass band is appealing, I think I like the combination of wood and brass the most. I also like the swirl pattern on the earring bases, not to mention the deep turquoise blue of the beads.


Speaking of color, my most favorite places to get inspiration for color palettes are nature and food (especially spices). Why spend countless hours searching through swatch books for new color palettes when you can go for a stroll through the arboretum, a hike in the mountains or peruse your local farmer's market?

Hopefully I've inspired you to be on the look out for fresh design & inspiration, after all, it's everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment