Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Traditional vs. Progressive


As an avid bed-time reader I've recently contemplated purchasing a Kindle. My husband has one and doesn't go anywhere without it. I've been weighing the pros/cons and although the pros seem to outweigh the cons I fear that I will still be drawn to the one thing I love most about traditional books – the tactility.

Being a graphic designer, I've always had an obsession for paper – it's texture and the appearance of the ink and typography on the paper. I also love the colorful artwork and the new and innovative printing techniques that are constantly being incorporated onto the covers. You don't get on a Kindle.












Seeing these gorgeous embossed embroidered-look covers which Penguin Threads will release on this set of classics in October makes the decision to switch even harder. I found an interesting article which talks about how printers are competing with electronic readers at:  http://www.atissuejournal.com/2011/04/03/books-that-make-you-feel/#more-5596.

I have plenty of time to contemplate. Until then, I will continue to enjoy my traditional books at my bed-time reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment